Call for Applications for DLT TALENTS: an 18-week mentoring program to empower female talent for leadership in the blockchain space
We have designed an 18-week long program with 3 phases that will help ambitious women to quickly onboard to the blockchain ecosystem (ideal age should be 18+). Our goal is to guide the way for women to become entrepreneurs, technologists, regulators, investors or influencers. This program is free of charge (EUR 0), you just have to apply. We will admit a maximum of 100 women to this program starting on October 4, 2021. Application Deadline is September 15, 2021.
Update: A new application deadline and a new date for starting this program (October 4, 2021) in the 3rd batch was added. Website: www.dlt-talents.com
With this program, we seek to empower women to get into blockchain technology, become leaders in this quickly developing and build the basis for a successful career path field (ideal age should be 18+). Blockchain is here to change the infrastructures of finance, supply chains, trade, etc. First, implementations are conducted by large corporations and financial institutions, but also by NGOs, the UN, and others trying to be part of a changing world. Bitcoin will also stay with us for the next few years and will not fade away. It is time to onboard yourself into the blockchain ecosystem.
Here is our track record so far: Close to 500 talented women have applied of which we have mentored 160 in 2 batches in 2020 and 2021. After these women have passed our 18-week mentoring program many of them are ready for jobs in the blockchain space. So far, approximately 50 women have found such a job. From now on in 2021 and beyond, we will increase theses numbers. We are grateful to our sponsors: Quantstamp, Commerzbank, KfW and Mastercard.
We envision that participants passing through our program sooner or later can follow these career paths:
- You become an entrepreneur of a great blockchain startup that is quickly funded with more than EUR 1M.
- You become a technologist or developer ready to work on blockchain applications or token protocols.
- You become a regulator or lawyer helping to set, change or apply the rules on which a digital society in the future will be based.
- You become an investor or venture capital partner helping to shape the future of other startups.
- You become a multiplicator or influencer in the blockchain area and an important “node” of the network.
If we do not achieve these goals together with some of the participating women we will coach, we will have failed.
Blockchain is 95% male and this has to change
Blockchain is a rising area. It emerged with Bitcoin back in 2008, pure software and IT. Of course, blockchain is technology often combined with finance. Maybe, this is the reason why the blockchain space is dominated by men in most countries. In fact, 95% of the people in blockchain are men. To be clear, this is just 5% of women — probably less.
We think that this is a significant problem, as in this quickly developing technological field, now is the time to be present, to position yourself and to build a network. The network and the prototypes developed now will lay the foundation for essential business relationships and real-life projects in a couple of years.
You will be one of the first protagonists in this field. Mingling already now with future leaders will make this point in time the perfect one to start.
It is our goal to change this on a small scale.
Who is operating this program?
This program is operated by the Frankfurt School Blockchain Center and partnering organizations. If you are interested as an organization in supporting this program, please contact us. Precisely, this is the core team driving this endeavor:
- Denise Duve, Project Manager, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management
- Anna C. Lange, Business Analyst, micobo
- Thy-Diep (“Yip”) Ta, Founder, Mindful Coaching Academy
- Prof. Dr. Philipp Sandner, Head of Frankfurt School Blockchain Center, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management
- Michael F. Spitz, CEO & Zukunftstourist, main incubator (R&D and CVC arm of Commerzbank Group)
- Philipp Schulden, COO of Frankfurt School Blockchain Center, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management
In our bi-weekly Zoom sessions, we will invite other blockchain experts. For this, we have built the following group of mentors and coaches:
- Ella Cullen, Co-Founder & CMO, Minespider
- Prof. Almudena de la Mata, Ph.D., Managing Partner, Blockchain Intelligence
- Kerstin Eichmann, Managing Director, E.ON Group Innovation
- Mona El Isa, Founder & CEO, Avantgarde Finance
- Prof. Dr. Agatha Ferreira, UK Solicitor and Assistant Professor, Warsaw University of Technology
- Julia Faesser, Vice President Digital Partnership, Mastercard
- Rhian Lewis, Blockchain Developer and Book Author
- Katharina Gehra, Co-Founder & CEO, Immutable Insight
- Dr. Michaela Hönig, Bitcoin & Crypto Currencies Expert, Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences
- Veronika Kütt, Project Manager, Aeternity Blockchain
- Sina Meier, Managing Director, 21shares
- Maria Minaricova, Chair of the Board, Blockchain for Europe Association
- Marloes Pomp, International Strategy National AI Coalition of the Netherlands
- Manuela Sedvartaite, Venture Manager, Santander
- Nina Siedler, Partner, DWF
- Sandra Sohn, Innovation Manager Germany, ODDO BHF
- Prof. Dr. Monika Sturm, Principal Key Expert Digitisation, Siemens
- Dulce Villarreal, Blockchain Developer, Trece Labs
- Alexandra Weck, Director Business Development, UBS
- Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe, Professor Strategy and Organization, Technische Universität München (TUM)
What can you expect from our DLT TALENTS program?
Starting with our second batch on October 4, 2021, we will establish a small program, select a maximum of 100 high-potential women and coach them over the course of a 3-phase program across 18 weeks to become entrepreneurs, technologists, regulators, investors or multiplicators in this field. Every two weeks, we will hold Zoom sessions to deepen your knowledge and get you ready for a first job in the blockchain domain.
This program is different. We will not do mentoring the classical way and we do not want to do lecturing. This is successfully done elsewhere. With our stringent 3-phase program, we will focus on empowering women to build a footprint in the blockchain ecosystem and become entrepreneurs, technologists, regulators, investors or multiplicators in this field.
These are the key principles of our program:
- You are your own teacher. We want to empower participants to learn the basics of the technology through using blended learning concepts built upon peer learning. This is NOT a university lecture. We will facilitate the learning journey by providing you with a diligently curated study guide. It’s important that you commit to self-studying the proposed concepts and come prepared to our joint Zoom sessions.
- Sharing is caring. In the Zoom sessions, we will deepen the knowledge and clarify open questions. We will ask you to actively share your learnings and questions in these sessions to foster learning through guided individual and group reflection and sharing of our perspectives towards a common topic. It is key to apply your newly won knowledge with a “Just do it” mentality.
- Content is queen. We will ask you to become a blockchain co-creator, e.g., by writing a blog article or creating a video on a blockchain topic (e.g., on Medium or YouTube) and get public exposure. We want to foster execution. But no worries, we will assure that what you write will be brilliant! We ask to do so because we have made the experience that by “owning” one’s topic, the study journey deepens and accelerates.
Why should you apply for this program?
Enter into Blockchain. This program should allow you to get an easy entry into the blockchain ecosystem. We believe that this program strongly improves your employability and that your future career path will significantly benefit.
Structured Learning Journey. You will also be equipped with the knowledge to understand blockchain technology and to judge applications of crypto assets and DLT. You will be able to “access” this very special domain with extremely varying characters — from entrepreneurs to regulators, investors and corporates. Our learning guides and facilitated peer sessions are designed in a way to help you understand the core essentials in a short time period. Our guest speakers are experts in their own fields in the blockchain universe.
Thriving network. Finally, we will provide a network and contacts to professionals in the blockchain domain. This is of particular importance because in such a small and dynamic field, the breadth and depth of one’s personal network are key.
It is a blockchain “bootcamp”. Please only consider applying if you are up to the challenge. We are waiting for your application. Shortly outline what brought your attention to blockchain and why you are the right woman.
How exactly does the program look like?
We aim to develop the participants into specialists in a chosen domain. To achieve this, however, it is necessary first of all to learn the basics of the technology and also to gain insight into as many stakeholder domains as possible. To achieve this, we have developed a 3-phase model, which forms the backbone of the entire program — the basics phase, the multi-disciplinary phase, and, ultimately, the concentration phase (see Figure 1). These phases accompany the participants from the beginner level (basics phase) upwards to the generalist (multi-disciplinary phase) and specialist levels (concentration phase).
We meet every two weeks virtually as a group. These meetings last 90 minutes, and they are meant to help share our learnings, discuss open questions, and learn from experts in the field. We will ask you to come prepared to the meetings.
What is the agenda for each Zoom session?
Each Zoom session will have the following structure and will each have a length of 90 minutes:
- Warm welcome (5 min)
- Participant presentations (35 min)
- Reflections from the group (10 min)
- Assignment for next session (5 min)
- Guest speaker presentations, if scheduled (20 min)
- Q&A (10 min)
- Outlook next topics (5 min)
In each Zoom session, the participants will present the findings of the assignment from the last session. The goal is not to lecture content to others. The goal is mainly to showcase what you have learned and what insights you have gotten — we call it “reflections”. Specifically, the participants should present their insights. They should not teach others. Learning of content is being done in the assignments the participants have to work on alone. The reflections will follow a structured format:
- Please share your key insight from the topic covered. What have you learned, that you didn’t know before? What was so fascinating about it?
- Why is the topic you investigated important, or innovative to the industry? What problem was solved? How will this change our current economic system?
- What are the potential drawbacks or hindrances?
- Where do you have open questions?
After the participant presentations, we will discuss the patterns that occurred regarding the insights of the entire group. The goal is to deepen and enrich our mutual understanding of the topic at hand. Thereafter, the assignment for the next session will be presented. All participants will work in one joint Google Slides document. Link sharing will be turned on and everybody will work on her slides within this single joint document. We do this to foster knowledge exchange and reduce technical frictions when presenting. We then have guest lecturers, which we invite. Questions on their presentations will be discussed thereafter. Each session closes with an outlook towards the new section.
What are the key characteristics of the DLT TALENTS program to be summarized?
- Starting October 4, 2021.
- Duration: 18 weeks (ending February 7, 2022).
- Working mode: bi-weekly Zoom sessions with assignments to be worked on in the meantime.
- Hours of classes: in the afternoons (CET).
- Cost: EUR 0 (scholarship program).
- Size: maximum of 100 women.
- Application: required; i.e. application form, letter of motivation (as PDF) and resume/CV (as PDF).
- Language: English or German.
Who should apply for this program and where to apply?
You should definitely apply if you fulfill the following criteria:
- You are female.
- Your age is 18+.
- You have at least 12 free hours per week to dig into the area of blockchain.
- You love technology and ideally also finance.
- You are good at mathematics.
- You speak and write English quite well.
- You have already had leadership experiences in your life (can be in extra-curricular).
- You could imagine slightly touching programming and IT development.
- It is OK for you to speak up for your interests and in public.
- You are entrepreneurial-minded.
- You are eager to fulfill the milestones of the program with a “the best I can do”-attitude.
- You seek to comply with the deadlines given.
- You give your best to attend every single session of our schedule (every second Mondays starting on October 4, 2021; starting approximately at 19h00 CEST).
If you have decided to apply, simply apply via this application form. In case you have questions, please contact us via an email addressed to email@example.com — we will respond to you as soon as possible. The program starts on October 4, 2021 and will consist of a maximum of 100 women. The application deadline is September 15, 2021; 23h59 CEST.
More information about this program: www.dlt-talents.com